A day or two before Romania started protesting the abusive and HIGHLY un-European measures (almost) implemented by our Government, we thought that we should take to the streets for our daily pictures. But this time we were keen on shooting a different kind of street style, with a different vibe; a more real one, a more vibrant one, one which portrays the reality of our streets on a typical Winter mid-day.
We got out of our car at Piata Romana in front of a newsstand and stood there for what seemed like three eternities (not more than three minutes in “normal-non-OCD-person-time”), to wait for people to gather to buy their daily papers. We were going against a stream of students getting out of the subway, people passing in a hurry, children laughing, but in that freezing rush hour we noticed those people we often ignore. Actually, not ignore, but rather not observe as much as we used to – the senior citizens.
People keep saying that older Romanians are not focused on today’s issues, that they are out of the loop in our highly technological era, that they are not to be taken seriously anymore.
The younger generation even seems a little bit hostile, not physically, but emotionally. I can’t help noticing their sometimes patronizing attitude…
Photos by Costrut
Dare I say, we passionately disagree! Because in the 27 minutes in which I spoke to a few – some asked politely to not be photographed – here’s what I’ve learned:
- Kindness and mutual understanding still goes a long way; it’s a value they have not forgotten about.
- No matter your age, you still need to have a decent and poised look.
- We might not understand many of today’s innovations or political strategies (I say ‘we’ because I’m also included, God knows I desperately try understanding the Z members of our team, to no avail) but we struggle to keep an open mind and judge with decency.
- ‘Yes, we use dentures, but we still use lipstick too. It adds a bit of sass and pizzazz.’
- Never, never, NEVER lose your optimism and enthusiasm.
- ‘Domnisoara, noi am trecut prin multe in viata dar n-am uitat niciodata ca suntem datori sa luptam pentru idealurile noastre!’
Elderly people have a wisdom which can fuel the course of our own life. Take a moment to talk to them! Give a hand when you can! Who knows? It might prove to be the biggest drive you need to purse your dreams!
Dear seniors, we LOVE you and we THANK YOU!